Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Salad burnet














Tonight I am attending our monthly Master Gardening Meeting and need to bring a snack. For inspiration I turn to the garden. As I walked through my December garden, I noticed how tasty the Salad burnet still looked and I immediately thought of one of my favorite recipes. (Salad burnet dip)



I love this herb for its appearance as well as its taste. The young tender leaves have a cucumber taste,without the burping problems! The crinkle cut leaves stay green well into the winter and pop back up early in the Spring. The plants form a mound of tenderness, especially when the young leaves are continually picked and used.



Salad burnet does best when it receives at least 6 hours of sunshine. The stalk blossoms, are best cut down, but can be used to make a wonderful Rosy colored herb vinegar. If left to bloom salad burnet may reseed,which is not such a bad thing. However, the plant on which the stalks are left on can become tough and lack flavor.









The Recipe I use for the dip is as follows:



1 Pkg Cream Cheese



4TBL Burnet Leaves, chopped or cut fine



2TBL Garlic Chives chopped



add to a bit of chopped lettuce



1teaspoon salt and pepper



Blend with 1/4 cup dry white wine (I often use sour cream, mayo, or Greek yogurt)



Let the flavors mix together by sitting in the refrigerator for a couple hours. From here I have stuffed this in to Cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, served on crackers or as a dip for veggies!!

Enjoy!!























2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great recipe! I used to grow salad burnet, but lost it somewhere along the line -- probably in a too hot summer. I must try it again!! I love SB in salads too, like you said, to add cucumber taste w/o the burp. I think the blooms are so pretty, too! Very dainty :-) Welcome to garden blogging! It is addicting, isn't it?!! :-)

    ReplyDelete



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin