Pages

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Another Great Fall Invasive: Aster Tatarian


Aster Tatarian (Aster tataricus)  in my humble opinion is the best aster ever!!  Twenty three years ago, when we moved here I noticed this plant appearing in mass around my various gardens. We moved here in May and I immediately made the commitment not to dig anything up until I had lived at my new abode for a full four season cycle. That was a very wise decision, although difficult, because my gardens had been loved by several generations of plant lovers and held so many hidden treasures. 

This aster starts appearing as clumps of leaves early on in the late spring, then continues to grow taller and taller until it finally blooms in late August. 

Tatarian aster is a very impressive, stately perennial with a flowering height of 3 to 6 feet. It can look you in the eye yet require no staking. More important, this aster flowers longer than any other garden aster, beginning in late September and early October and continuing into November. The 1-inch-wide, light lavender flowers are a magnet for local and migrating monarch butterflies. This plant tolerates many soil types, can form large colonies in a few years, and is easily divided." (Fine Gardening )


I can not describe effectively enough how many pollinators love this late bloomer, hummingbirds, butterflies, bees, lightening bugs they swarm all over it. But it is not only the pollinators, every human pollinator that visits my gardens this time of year, immediately asks me about this show stopper. 

I have transplanted and moved this sweetheart all over the garden. It seems to do well wherever  I plant it. In fact, I have quit buying New England Asters, just too floppy, way too much work and not nearly as beautiful. P.S. It out blooms any mum on the block as well.


This Aster was first introduced to to west in 1818. It's fame was spread by Thomas Jefferson as he used it intensively in his Monticello gardens. The Chinese have used properties of this perennial for centuries, many excellent medicinal uses. 

Take my advice and add this beauty to your gardens. It can spread but I control it by thrilling my garden visitors with pass along clumps. If you are in the neighborhood, stop by ...so happy to share.

 Monarchs seem to love this plant...I can always find several on the various groupings. Just yesterday I saw 6.




Overview
Height
6 ft. to 10 ft.
Spread
1 ft. to 3 ft.
Growth Habit
Spreads
Light
Full Sun to Part Shade
Moisture
Medium Moisture
Maintenance
Low
Characteristics
Attracts Butterflies, Showy Flowers
Bloom Time
Early Fall, Fall
Flower Color
Island Paradise, Niagara, Primrose Yellow
Uses
Beds and Borders
Style
Cottage Garden, Meadow Garden
Seasonal Interest
Summer Interest
Tolerance
Frost Tolerant
Type
Perennials


Thank you Fine Gardening Magazine  for all the great information.  And thank you to the past gardeners that worked my land many years ago and planted this gem just for me to love and passalong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin