Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Down a New Garden Path

  A year ago, I was so excited to have a new growing season upon us. I had spent most of the winter crafting plans to start transitioning from gardening at my amazing Kentucky Gardens to the wild uncultivated gardens of our Brown County Indiana Home. 

The previous fall I created some spaces to allow me to start bringing up some plants. My gardens of over 27 years in Kentucky are overflowing and the gardens in Indiana were non-existent, so it was going to be a win-win for both spaces. 

Indiana gardens are going to be heavily native, pollinator and wildlife friendly. The emphasis is going to be on easy and incorporating the gardens gently into the existing  untouched 150 acres.  

Then as we all know it hit. Our lives will forever be changed by the “virus”. But for me it was much more…my daughter and her family, arrived from India.  This was the first week in April..2020.

They were in quarantine for two weeks at our house in Kentucky. We stayed in Brown County for the two weeks. From there we all realized that it made the most sense to make the lake house in Indiana home base. The ability to swim every day, fish, hike, and have the kids help me craft the gardens was perfect. After all it was just for a month right??

Innovative gardens, like straw bales and grow pots, etc were put into place to grow veggies in Indiana verse Kentucky. Plans were shifted and my expectations changed. My gardens in Kentucky were put on automatic pilot. 

What was suppose to be 1 to 2 months turned into almost 6 months. But it went by so fast and furious. We swam everyday, hiked, gardened and enjoyed nature, the precious time flew by and on August 16th they flew back to India. This is one of the unexpected blessings from an unpredictable 2020. 

Somewhere during this time period my husband and I realized the time had come to put  our beloved Kentucky Home on the Market. We had purchased the Lake House almost three years ago. Our game plan was to sell the house within 5 years, however as we neared the start of the 3rd year we felt it was time. 

It is bittersweet …..leaving a home, neighbors, friends, associates, and my beloved gardens behind. However it is time to transition into an easier lifestyle and gardening style  I look forward to the challenges of developing gardens full of natives on this 150 acres of beautiful land. 

I hope that you all will join in the journey. I have been feeling uprooted since we put the house on the market late October. Too much time has been spent by me searching for ways to let go of 27 years. 

Finally it dawned on me that in reality I am not letting go of my 27 years of Kentucky Gardening just adding to my story. Building on my knowledge, love and passion for all things natural by incorporating my love of gardening, with cooking, gardening crafting, bees, photography, pets, wildlife and travel. Plus creating a space that we can enjoy with our beloved grandsons, granddaughter, our immediate family, lifelong friends, extended family and new friends. 

I hope you will follow me along this journey, as I have renewed my commitment to blog, write, lecture and share my many passions in my Indiana home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin