Pages

Monday, March 14, 2022

Mother is taking over the Greenhouse

      

      



                    For over 25 years my mother planned her perfect retirement house. It was on land in Brown County Indiana that my parents had acquired. The goal was to allow their family of six kids land where they could run wild, swim, ride horses and learn about nature. 

                    Some of my mom's favorite times in this special  house were spent in her small greenhouse off the kitchen.  She loved growing basil, parsley and her beloved red geraniums. Flash forward over 30 years later I am living there and enjoying the same pleasure. 

                    So when I saw a Mother of Thousand (Kalanchoe Daigremontiana) AKA: Alligator Plant, or Mexican Hat Plant. I knew that the plant needed a spot in my Mother's greenhouse. In reality I believe the plant is Mother of Millions (Kalanchoe Delagoensis)  AKA Devil's Backbone or Chandelier Plant. 


                Looks harmless right?  Succulents do great in the greenhouse. I had read this plant grows   rapidly and requires a minimum amount of care. I also was quite fascinated by the little babies hanging to the mother's leaves. So win-win, correct? 


        Well now...two year later I have thousands, if not millions of this plant popping up everywhere. I must admit I do love the tall spikes with a beautiful cluster of red blooms. They add a pop of color and height which I enjoy in the dead of winter. But they go to seed as well and spread babies all over the greenhouse. 


            Currently the babies are sprouting up all over and in every available space in the greenhouse.  I will have to eradicate some of the plants. Taking Mom's advice "too much of a good thing often is not a good thing", I will remove some of the Mothers!                            







No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin