Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

Herrenhausen Oregano


These pictures are from the Herb Garden at the Botanical Gardens in Shelby County. Quite honestly we put this variety in the garden because the local garden store had extra and gave us a good deal. It has turned out to be a highlight of the garden. Tonight we had a work and photograph session(for the local magazine), the Herrenhausen had bees dancing from one plant to the next as well as a wonderful array of butterflies
Last week I cut some of this plant because it had fallen into the path. I put it in the hatch back of my car and promptly forgot it was there. All during the week, I kept smelling this nice fragrance. After about 4 days, I remembered the Oregano in the back of my car, voila it was perfectly dried. The purple flowers were preserved true to their growing color.
My car has tinted windows, so it is perfect for drying herbs, low light,warm,and dry. The color remained perfect, and it now rests in a basket in my dinning room. This is a great tip for Mom's always on the go. I refer to it as "The Cut and Go Drying Method"
I have never used this variety of Oregano for culinary purposes, I have heard it overpowers the dish with its' perfume. But I would highly recommend growing this variety for its' beauty!

(Origanum laevigatum 'Herrenhausen')







No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin