Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

New Years Resolution--Herbs





Ok..so this is probably different that most resolutions, I am resolving that I am going to try and use more herbs in all my cooking. I have so long had a fascination with all herbs, so I am going to focus on using them more often. Therefore that means sharing them with you all.

The hint of Thyme in this recipe is intoxicating!!!

Last night I was trying to come up with a vegetable to go alone with our main course. I noticed I still had 4 parsnips.( from the Christmas roasted root vegetables) I really did not want to just roast them so I opted to make a "Parsnip Puree". It was adapted from a recipe from Tyler Florence. Wow...so it has now sent me into a need to grow parsnips this Spring.

Check out more information on growing Parsnip on my blog in Kentucky Gardener. www.statebystategardening.com




Parsnip Puree

1 pound parsnips, peeled and sliced
Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup fat free half and half
4 clove of garlic, peeled and gently smashed
1 sprig of thyme
1 stick butter
Extra Virgin olive oil
Parsley for garish

Put parsnips in a pot, season with salt and cover with the half and half. Add garlic and thyme then place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook until tender, the tip of a paring knife should easily go through without resistance-about 12 to 15 minutes.

I then take the thyme and use and immersion blender to puree the parsnips and achieve the texture of whipped cream. Season with salt and pepper, finish with a sprig of parsley.

I love the texture and the natural sweetness of the parsnips with just a hint of thyme!! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin