Pages

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Lilly of the Valley Makes My Garden Sing


I love Lilly of the Valley.(Convallaria majalis)  I know it is poisonous, it is invasive and has a shady  history. All of this does not keep me from wanting it . When we moved here over 20 plus years ago, I was thrilled to find Lilly of the Valley. It was scattered in some random shady spots. So when my son-in -law and daughter offered about 6 years ago to group the plants all together under the Big Siberian Elm, I was all on board. 
This was a win/win. For the tree it keeps the crazy lawn mower guy, my husband from getting too close and for me it has grown to be an amazingly fragrant gift this time of year. 
I fondly remember my mom singing to be about the "White Coral Bells, along upon a slender stalk,  Lilly of the Valleys deck my garden walk. Oh don't you wish that you could hear them ring, that will only happen with the fairies sing." 
So now every spring..I hear the fairies sing... 

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin