Pages

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Basil Rescue


We have been in my favorite place...Sanibel..but rushed home a day early because of the threat of frost. I had just too much Basil to harvest. So today was a rescue my Basil day. I am going to make a lot of Pesto and some Basil scented oil. Then I will make some special dishes.

When we were on Sanibel,I had a Scallop dish with some fresh Basil ..it was so good.I think I can reproduce it. It was just seared Scallops in Basil oil, then they were placed on toasted french bread slices that had Gruyere cheese melted on them. A sprinkling of Basil on top and some shaved cheese. All of this with a side of fresh greens with a Basil/Lime Vinaigrette. So go...Thanks "Cips" a new restaurant on Sanibel.

When it comes to Pesto. I make a very basic sauce. I really enjoy one of Giada's recipes. It is just right for me...not too much Garlic.

Here it is:
2 cups packed Basil Leaves
1/4 cup Toasted Pine Nuts
1 Garlic Clove
1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste
1/4 freshly ground pepper,more taste
About 2/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.

In a blender, pulse the Basil, Pine Nuts,Garlic, 1/2 teaspoon Salt and 1/4 teaspoon Pepper until finely chopped. With the food processor still running , gradually add enough oil to form a smooth and thick consistency. Transfer the Pesto to a bowl and stir in the cheese. If I am not going to use the Pesto that day, I either freeze or can the Pesto.

Having Pesto on hand opens me to up for a wealth of Basil Love all winter long!

Recipe from one of my favorite Cookbooks " giada's family dinner" Giada De Laurentiis

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin