Pages

Friday, August 5, 2016

Cypress Vine Everywhere!!

Here is the Answer to “Think about it Thursday”

The vine in the picture is Ipomoea quamoclit  (cypress vine, cypress vine morning glory, carnival creeper, star glory, carnival vine or hummingbird vine) take your pick. This vine is a member of the morning-glory family.  They share many of the same characteristics with the more familiar morning-glory, although the appearance is totally different. 

The one I have has thin, fern like leaves. I love it because it gives the plant an airy, whimsical look. It looks great growing up a pole or trellis but will grow up anything it can find.  As you can see I often us it as a ground cover and let it sprawl around on the ground.  There are other varieties that have different leaf patterns. All interesting and all pretty aggressive growers. 

The blooms may be pink to white to red. Hummingbirds, butterflies, and various other pollinators love to sip on it. 

I would classified this plant as a self-seeding annual. I have had it for about 15 years and never had to reseed. It always pops back up but not until the soil and air have warmed up, even as late as June.  I do spent a lot of time pulling and controlling but with its delicate roots it silvery easy to control.  I love to give it away, put it in new places, and play around with it in pots. Always plenty to share. 

So if you want any…give me a shout!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin