Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2016

What is it Wednesday?

What is it Wednesday?  

Yes...it was accurately pegged. I love this plant. Chaste Tree (Vitex agnus-castus)  Although to be perfectly honest, I do not know the exact variety. There are some newer varieties that are very interesting as well. 

This tree grows 15 to 20 feet tall in optimal locations. In Kentucky, my three die down every winter but promptly pop right back in the spring. 
They bloom for me from early summer to early fall. They have beautiful upright spikes of pink, lilac and white flowers. They have pleasantly scented flowers as well as foliage. 
Since they attract all sorts of pollinators it is a must in any garden. 

However, they do best in full sun and very well drained soil. As you can tell from the pictures my Chaste Tree is in a bad spot. The apple tree behind it has grown leaps and bounds so I am going to move the one pictured in the fall.  The overhead limbs block the sun and cause my Chaste tree to grow outward reaching for the perfect site verses growing up. 

I am thinking about placing all three in a stand alone grouping by themselves in the full sun.  I think they will create quite a spectacular show. I know the bees and butterflies will be so happy. 

Be sure to trim off the beautiful blooms as they fade away to keep the blooms coming strong. 

I hope you will try this one and send me pics!!  







No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin