Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Roasted Tomatoes


This summer has not been the best tomato year for my garden. We have had a really cool,
wet growing season, plus I missed out on the opportunity to buy Heirloom's .

Par for the course, I did have a healthy collection of yellow and red cherry and grape tomatoes, which has allowed me to do what I love best, roast tomatoes! When I roast these little gems, I use them for Roasted Tomato Soup, a topping on chicken or any other dish, or just smothered with Sweet Basil.

I use many different recipes for roasting tomatoes, here is a basic one. Please be creative, don't be afraid to experiment with different herbs as the options are endless.

Roasting Tomatoes
I use whatever tomatoes I have ready to harvest in the garden. I will often line a cookie sheet pan with foil and then size the tomatoes for easy roasting. For example, I cut Roma tomatoes in half and line them on the pan cut side up.When using Cherry or Grape tomatoes I often cut them in half or just roast them whole. I generally place about 6 smashed garlic gloves in with the tomatoes and season them with salt and black pepper and then add about 1/4 cup olive oil. I roast the tomatoes at 400 degrees for about an hour.

At this point, I have so many options, just a few are as follows:

Add fresh basil and eat as a side dish
Make into Roasted Tomato Soup
Freeze for future use
Make into sauce and use on chicken, beef or rice.

In my next blog, I will share one of my favorite usages for roasted tomatoes, Roasted Tomato Soup!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin