Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Finch Food

To you and I, these dead coneflowers just look like a gardener is  not doing her job. But to the Finches in my yard this is a culinary feast.  I love goldfinches and who would not want these beauties in your yard with their bright yellow feathers and cheerful song.  I feed them year round with feeders filled with Nyjer seed, but this time of year I so enjoy seeing them enjoy the seed heads I leave for their diners.


Finches love many seed heads and in fact prefer this to Nyjer in a feeder, this time of year.  So I try to plant plenty for them to feast on. So please don't cut the coneflowers. There is nothing more exciting than seeing  a finch hanging on to a coneflower and swaying in the wind!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin