Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Part 2....Fall Invasives...Garlic Chives...


Garlic Chives are another one of my Fall Invasive's that I love. Garlic Chives get such a bum rap but not by this gardener or nor by all the many varieties of pollinators that flock to them this time of year.


These chives look similar to the regular chives except that their leaves are flat blades rather than the thin hollow roundish leaves of regular chive.  Another difference is that the regular chive blooms in the spring as a delightful pink puff. These blooms make an exceptional vinegar that turns a beautiful pink hue. But back to my Fall Chives....

Allium tuberous  are one of the oldest herbs recorded. In fact over 4,000 to 5,000 years ago.  They grow in clumps and have very fibrous small onion like roots, which are not edible. However, the flower head and leaves are great additions to vinegars, salads,soups, compound butters, soft cheeses, just about any where you want a mild garlic accent. 

I love them along the borders of my gardens, I keep them from getting to lanky by frequent haircuts during the growing season. Then when I notice the stem coming up I back off the haircuts. They have  minimal requirements and reliably return each year. 



When they are done blooming the heads transform into a really decorative seed pod. But beware this is when they become dangerous.   So it is off with their heads time or else you will have garlic chives absolutely everywhere. Please heed this warning unless you want a 100% chive garden. 
But I love the amount of pollinators that swarm over them from bees, to butterflies to lightning bugs.... this time of year my garden is a Chive Blossom Party. 

Not to be forgotten are all the wonderful companion planting properties of these plants.  They love and aid roses, grapes, tomatoes, and even help with scab on apples. I often use them as a green mulch around the bases of my apple trees. 
All these reasons are why when grown with caution these guys are a win/win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin