Pages

Friday, December 1, 2017

Fall-Blooming Anemones


I have been particularly fascinated by my Anemones(Anemone app. and cvs.,)  this fall.  Not only have they lasted and lasted, in fact it is the 1st of December and they are just finally gone, this year for the first time they provided with a bonus....more on that later.


This group of plants highlight the late fall garden, much to the delight of my pollinators and well as late garden visitors. The blooms were full of my honey bees and various other pollinators looking for that last drink of nectar.

Their willowy stems yield tight little buds that pop open in hues of white and pink often near the end of the day. These beauties lightly illuminate the garden as the sun is fading. After the petals drop off the seed pod remains and is quite attractive.

My Anemones are planted along the edge of the cottage garden and are in a very light shade. They seem to love this area and have formed a nice row to form a border.  For some they can be invasive but for me this has been a perfect match.  They filled a needed niche and have tried their hardest to control the horsetail, I foolish planted with them many years ago.

I have don't very little to these beauties, never deadheaded or transplanted, just dug horsetail out of them and loved having such a delightful beauty in the fall garden.

Well here is the bonus. Due to the warm fall, I delayed cutting back anything still in bloom until the very end. These guys are on the path to the compost, so on one trip, I noticed puffs of cotton ball looking objects. Lo and behold it was my Japanese Anemones. They had developed seed pods that looked so similar to cotton polls.


I have not ever seen these before. So my procrastination yielded me some great seed pods and fun knowledge.

I know there are several different varieties of anemones so I have it on my list to try some more, particularly the double varitey. I am not sure of my variety since it was a pass along. Some research is in order, but I will add some more as I think the cottage garden is a great place for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin