Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Birthday Dinner

I have spent the last 38 years confused. We got married on the 4th of January and Randy's Birthday is the 5th. So I have been confusing the two for the last 38 years.

This year I finally did get it straight. On Friday I gave him a great cigar and a bottle of  notch rum  and we went out to eat. That was our anniversary.

On Saturday, his birthday I promised to cook him whatever he wanted. Ok of course, rib eye steaks cooked in the iron skillet in the oven, my Kentucky Collards and peppers and onions. All easy and all the norm.


Still able to get these from the garden, but near the end.





But then an odd request. A dessert I had not made for years. Zebra Cake

My Mom used to make this for us as kids, I continued the tradition and had made it for my kids as well. But that was years ago.

I did not have the recipe but remembered the main ingredients. first and foremost I needed to find Chocolate Wafers. This recipe has been on the back of the Nabisco Wafer box for years. No problem....right.

Well after the 4th store I was worried. But finally Fresh Market had their own version. But no recipe. But it was on line. Voila.


I was making this dessert. Basically you just beat up two cups cream, then gently stir in 2 tsp vanilla. I also added some Splenda to sweeten it up.

Then spread about a Tbsp on each wafer, stack them up and put on a plate. Frost all over with the remaining whipped cream. Then put in refrig for at last 4 hrs.

When you cut into it, striped cake. Zebra Cake. I think he liked it, it was gone in a day.





I do not think I will make this a lot, but it was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin