Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Why I grow Rhubarb

Rhubarb was one of my fathers and fathers-in-laws favorite vegetables. Therefore we have always had it my garden. I think it is beautiful In the garden. But not overly fond of its taste.



This a perennial vegetable, that is usually used as a fruit in desserts and jams. You only eat the stalks, they have a rich, tart, sour flavor. The beautiful leaves of this plant are poisonous, but are very beneficial to the compost pile.

I harvested a large amount yesterday. So I need to do something with them.


I made a pie for my father-in- law. They loved it. (Recipe below) My mom wants a pie as well. Plus now my oldest sister wants me to send her something made with rhubarb for her husband.

A couple weeks ago, I made a rhubarb pound coffee cake, so I may make that again for my mom and my sister's husband. Then what do I do with the rest??? Stay tuned I will let you know.




Fresh Rhubarb Pie

Ingredients:
4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/3 cups white sugar
6 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon butter
1 recipe for a 9 inch double crust pie

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Combine sugar and flour. Sprinkle 1/4 of it over pastry in pie plate Heap rhubarb over this mixture sprinkle with the remaining sugar and flour. for with small pieces of butter and cover with the top crust
3. Place pie on the lowest rack in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 40 minutes


I will blog the Rhubarb Pound Cake soon. Enjoy. I would love to hear your recipes for Rhubarb.

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin