Pages

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Mason Bee Project

Mason Bee or Orchard Bee is the common name for species of bees in the genus Osmia, of the family Megaachilidae. This non-social native bee is very helpful in the pollination of early spring fruit trees, flowers and vegetables. The bluish- black metallic bee does not live in hives, but rather in hollow stems, woodpecker drillings and carpenter bees left over destruction.

These bees are active for a short period of time and do not connect or share nest or interact with each others life's.  Since they are so passive they may be observed at close range without fear of being stung. This makes them great additions for our home gardens and yards.  Although they do not produce honey, their presence adds activity and pollination to our plantings.

Last year I ordered two Mason Bee Hives so I would be prepared to put them up very early in the spring before the buds emerged. Last Saturday was a great day for outdoor projects and I had my two best workers to help. Callum (2) and Thatcher (4) helped their Dumpy(Grandfather Kirts) place the homes for me.

We placed one on the barn post and the other on the Gazebo. I will let you know how it goes. I am all for finding new pollinators for my gardens.



 
Nothing better than extra hands in the garden!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin