Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Sanibel Moorings Botantical Gardens

Sanibel Island is one of my favorite places on this planet! I have visited this great island probably 3 to 4 times a year for over 30 years. So I am always so excited and surprised when I discover a new hidden gem on the island.

I just returned from a wonderful week on the Island. I have been hearing about the Botanical Gardens at a Condo Complex, but did not expect what I found.

The Sanibel Moorings Resort was built in 1974 and the garden began at that time as well. Over the years many gardeners have left their footprint on this 6 acre oasis. This very unique wildlife oasis is home to hundreds of native plants and non-invasive tropical plants. It includes collections of bromeliads, cacti, hibiscus, orchids, palms, fruits, and cycads and in a wildlife friendly environment.

The Complex offers tours and self-guided tours as well. It is a $5.00 donation but so worth the time and money. Just check in at the Office for the guide!  All the plants are labeled and a wonderful brochure provides great information. I will be returning each visit to Sanibel.







 
These images are just a drop in the bucket.....go check it out!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin