Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Why does my Christmas Cactus Bloom at Thanksgiving?





WELL...it is because it is a Thanksgiving Cactus(Schlumbergera truncata) versus a Christmas Cactus.( Schlumbergera bridgesii). This beauty was passed down to me from my Mom.

It is such an easy plant to take care of and gives me so much joy knowing that my mom loved it.

Look at the leaves....
This is the secret. The Thanksgiving Cactus leaves "phylloclades" are serrated or toothed. The Christmas Cactus is more rounded.

Here are some tips for care of this precious plant:
#1 Allow the soil to dry out during resting periods or when it is not producing bloom

#2 Water only when the soil is dry to touch. Overwatering can kill the plant. Provide plenty of light and room temps of 60 to 65 degrees. 
#3 There are all kinds of ways to promote more blooms etc but I just let it be..in the same space. Maybe because I am a Beatles fan. But my Thanksgiving Cactus that was given to me by my mom I just "Let it Be"





No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin