Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2023

SALAD BURNET: STRUTS IT'S STUFF ALL YEAR LONG

 

      Who does not love a very tasty herb that hangs around most of the winter.  That is one of the reasons this yummy and cute perennial is always in my garden. 

    Salad Burnet(Sanguisorba minor) makes a great border to any garden. The plants develop in a rosette pattern. They seem to emerge like an opening flower and can become a good sized plant. Approximately 8 to 12 inches across. They are very interesting plants.  

    As the young leaves emerge the leaves are oval with serrated edges. They have a very distinct cucumber taste. These leaves are a very good substitute for individuals who have a problem digesting cucumbers. 


     I love using the young leaves in salads and cold dips and fillers for Cherry tomatoes. Here is one of my absolute go to recipes for an herbal dip/ filler/ spread. 

    Blend together 1 package of softened cream cheese and either 1/4 white wine or sour cream or mayo. I prefer the sour cream or mayo. My daughter has used greek yogurt and loves it. Then add 4TBLS Burnett leaves chopped fine. Plus 2TBLS Chives or Garlic Chives. Then season with 1teas salt and pepper. In order to add some texture, I sometimes add some chopped lettuce.  Depending on what is in the garden I might add other herbs but prefer not to mask the cucumber flavor. 

I have stuffed this into tomatoes, celery, mushrooms, or just for a dip for veggies and crackers. It is always a big hit




        As the plant matures it sends up a stalk that can grow up to 1 foot in height. At the top it shots out a pinkish blossom.  These are totally edible and color and texture to salads. But by far my favorite use for these blooms is to make an herbal vinegar. 

    I infuse the blossoms in a white wine vinegar and let them be for a week or more. The vinegar turns an eye catching rosy pink. So yummy in vinaigrettes. It is a true show off in my line up of homemade Vinegars.
    
    My hope is that you will give this little known herb a try. What could be better than a perennial that is easy to grow( I start this one from seed using winter sowing), green almost all year long, and so tasty. WIN WIN WIN!!


No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin