Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Getting Back to My Roots....


         Over 60 years ago my parents made an investment for the future of their family. For their 6 young kids, they longed to have a place in the country where all of us could roam, explore, swim, ride horses and be one with nature. 
Nestled in the scenic hills of Brown County Indiana and in-between their home town of Columbus and their beloved Bloomington Indiana (Home of Indiana University ), this spot was perfect. 
Through the years a beautiful house was built with an attached greenhouse, as well as a lake cabin. Wildflowers were encouraged to grow and daffodils were planted by the hundreds. Trees were lovingly tended but nature was basically left to flourish. 
Generations grew up enjoying the property just as Mom and Dad had envisioned so long ago for their 6 “wild ones.”  Weddings, engagements, parties, reunions, hiking, swimming and many other events became engrained into the history of such a wondrous space. 
But as so often happens, life has a way of pushing us in different directions. When my parents passed away, a sadness fell over the land as it sat on the market for many years. It was used with love when possible, but the land was lonely. 
I believe as one age sometimes you feel a calling and for my husband and myself, it was to return to our roots. By purchasing this property and keeping it in the family for generations to come. We want our children and their young kids to grow up with nature as well. 
As we age it also makes sense for my husband because it sits in-between his three Blitz Builders offices and allows for a very doable commute to each one. 
We will be remaining in Kentucky for now, as my heart and soul are in my gardens and historic home. However, we will be spending lots of time at the Lake. My husband loves the woods and I intend to try and restore my mothers’ wildflower gardens. It will be a very different style of gardening but I am excited to work both spaces. 
After all, I have always wanted a greenhouse, I just did not realize I would have to buy 150 acres to get it!!  
I will be blogging about our journey on my blog. basilbecky.blogspot.com . My intent is to continue my commitment to growing as much as our food as possible using my gardens, perhaps a bit of forging and experimenting with new ways of growing what I love. I am going to try and combine the best of both of my worlds. 
I hope you will follow along on our journey. It will be challenging, exhausting but exciting and fun. 





No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin