Pages

Friday, February 22, 2019

My Favorite "A" Herb

"A" Herb

Anise Hyssop, Fragrant Giant Hyssop, Lavender Giant Hyssop, Giant Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum)


Varities: purple giant hyssop (A.scrophulariifolia), yellow giant hyssop (A. nepetoides)




Walk by my herb garden when this amazing pollinator collector is in bloom (mid-summer) and this plant is buzzing. There are bees native and non-native bees, flies, beetles, butterflies, and moths all wanting to be part of the action. Even a small sweat bee (Dufourea monardae) specializes on the giant hyssop. 

One thing I really love about Anise Hyssop is that as the young leaves emerge in the spring they have a purplish cast but one quick pinch lets you know that they are anise Hyssop because of the smell so strongly of licorice (anise). That is a great help for aggressive weeders in the spring, one pitch and you know it belongs in the garden.

The other interesting thing I have noticed about this herb is that it jumps around. Perhaps it is because in my gardens I don't cut the blooms and allow them to go to seed due to pollinator love. Perhaps the pollinators consequently are spreading them around. But this is a good thing because sometimes the individual plants can be short-lived, so by allowing them to reseed you will ensure yourself a yearly growth of new plants.

The leaves can be eaten in very small quantities, and are good added to jellies, jams, and teas. I like the idea of steeping the leaves and infusing them into a cordial. A quick search of recipes using Anise Hyssop brought up many ideas for baked goods and even ice-cream. I need to try some this summer and report back. 

It is fairly easy to dry and preserve, so potpourri would be fun. I did see where a Dream Pillow stuffed with Anise Hyssop, reportedly stops nightmares.

Quite honestly I don't do much besides let the pollinators enjoy this beauty. But now I am inspired to expand my horizons with this A herb favorite.  


Growing Needs:


The plant seems to enjoy being on the border of my sunny herb garden. But I suspect it would grow in partial shade as well.  Average Moisture is where it seems most comfortable. The summer bloom can be a range of purple to white and takes the shape of a long bottle brush. Picture erect flower spikes bearing multiple, two-lipped flowers. 

This is an upright, clump-forming plant that grows 2 to 6 feet tall about 1-3 feet wide. Their leaf pattern is very similar to a mint leaf.  Many times the plant will send off side shoots creating a lovely bush.


I hope you will include this herb in your garden. It is A #1.







Facts and Tidbits about this Herb:

Mass Plantings were established in the 19th century specifically for the bees. Did you know one single acre of this herb can supply enough foraged food for over a hundred colonies of bees?


Sugar concentrate reportedly is over 40% and can result in lighter colored honey with a sweet minty flavor. I know this because that accurately describes my honey and my bees love my Anise
Hyssop.


The Native Americans had many uses for this plant. From teas to medicinal bundles to protective charms, they were very aware of its powers. They used it to treat coughs, wounds, fevers, and diarrhea.

Companion Planting  Note:
Reportingly Anises Hyssop helps repel Cabbage Moth.

I will be adding more Tidbits as I find them....so check-in often.




1 comment:

  1. When you select a heater, the one with temperature settings have become the most convenient. To learn more about best grow tent fan, visit on hyperlinked site.

    ReplyDelete



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin