Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Chinese Long Beans, Yard Long Beans, Asparagus Beans or Snake Beans

This is the second year I have grown these interesting Beans.  They are easy and very prolific in my Potager Garden. I originally started growing them just for the interest factor, but after seeing them for sell in the Athens GA Farmers Market, I decided that I needed to do some culinary experimentation with them. I really hate not using any produce that I grow so I am now on a mission to find some good recipes for this bean!

Here are such a few facts about this fun veggie:

*It can measure from 1 to 3 feet long but is best eaten when they are 12 to 20 inches long

*This bean has a soft texture that is flexible not as crisp as the western green bean

*Focus on the young beans, the older yellowing beans are not really tasty

This is a way I used them that was very successful.

Beef and Asparagus  Bundles

16 asparagus spears
2 heads Bibb lettuce leaves separated
1 (4-oz) packaged garlic and herb spreadable cheese
8 thin slices deli roast beef, halved
1 red bell pepper, cut into 16 strips
8 yard long green beans

Snap off and discard tough ends of the asparagus and cut into 4 inch pieces. Cook in boiling water until crisp and then plunge into cold water and stop the cooking process.  Drain and pat dry

On each lettuce leaf spread a strip of the herb cheese. Then put one piece of the roast beef, the a couple of the asparagus spears,  and the green pepper strip. Wrap each bundle up and tie with a steamed long bean.

They were delicious...as an appetizer or salad or main dish...this is delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment



LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin